Friday, February 10, 2006

Picture Friday!

Hey y'all.

It's picture Friday, and first up we have the Gull-Stitch baby sweater (in progress) by Megan. I don't know about you, but I'm certainly impressed. Check this out.



Then, to prove that I am, in fact, knitting, here's where I am with the baby shawl.



Now, there should be more of it. Why isn't there more of it? Because your correspondent was convinced he could knit lace on the train, that's why. And he can't.

The pattern is Tulip Bud II from the first volume of Barbara Walker. For the complete newbies in the group, Barbara Walker published a series of treasuries of knitting patterns that have become almost a compulsory item on the shelf of any knitter who occasionally likes to strike out on his or her own. They're so well-known that you'll often hear a knitter say something like, "I got the lace panel on the back from Barbara Walker," without further explanation.

I chose Tulip Bud II because it spreads left and right, and also has strong vertical axis. My hope is that the four tulip "stems" running diagonally up to the corners of the panels will make a nice counterpoint to the yo's that divide the shawl into four quarters.

The first thing I did (okay, the first thing I did after ripping out the lace on the first try) was to get some graph paper and translate Barbara's written instructions for the pattern into a chart. Since switching to the chart, things are going better. I still miscount now and again, but I catch it sooner and don't have to rip back three rows to fix it.

Of course, right now it looks like I'm knitting a bonnet for a hydrocephalic baby. EZ's comment about the Pi shawl that it "makes its own knitting bag" now makes sense to me. And I am, in fact, tucking the ball of yarn into the shawl whenever I put it away.

This is the first time I've done a project with Dale Baby Ull and can I tell you how much I love it? A pleasure to feel running over the fingers.

10 Comments:

Blogger sep said...

beautiful sweater! I did that one last year but mine ended up looking like it would fit a football :) Your's is very well shaped!

And, Franklin, I know that will look lovely once blocked. Don't fear - stretching the hell out of a piece of knitted lace is sooooo cathartic.

you can check my progress on the baby longies here
They're a little wonky but have been really fun to knit so far.

February 11, 2006  
Blogger Liz said...

oo! oo! Yay for pictures!

I am FLOORED by Megan's fabulous gull stitch sweater.

And thank you so much for WIP pics of your shawl - good idea for the lace panel, and your reasoning makes sense to me. Hope it works out; it oughta. Me, I'm putting off inserting any lace at all, because I just love picking up the thing and having a bit of effortless knitting to play with. Tra la la, and another several inches just melt into being. It's simply delightful. I do want to do a row of yo/k2tog or two, and then stick in some lace pattern or other, sandwiching it under another row of eyelets, and then who knows what. But it's such fun having something really brainless to do that I still haven't eyelet-ed at all, atall. Begorrah.

Hm. Must be time for more caffeine. Cheerio, all!

February 12, 2006  
Anonymous Michelene said...

Dear Almanac,
Gone to the Olympics. Back soon.
Love,
Michelene

February 13, 2006  
Blogger BigAlice said...

Ooh, the baby sweater looks fantastic! I'm still trying to find a yarn (or futz with the stitch counts for a 6 st/inch yarn). Megan, what yarn did you use?

Sep, the longies are really cute, I like the 2 colors.

Franklin, I like the tulip bud pattern, I think your approach will look good with the yarn overs. Heh, on my train I can handle ribbing or stockinette or garter, and maybe a really repetitive, simple pattern. Lace? HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'd spend more time ripping out the mistakes than I would getting anything done. I have wanted to try the Baby Ull, thanks for the recommendation.

February 13, 2006  
Blogger meegan said...

Thanks y'all! I just had a horrid week, and it was awfully nice to read your comments about my sweater! bigalice -- I got the yarn from my lys. It's from Bemidji Woolen Mills in Bemidji Minn, and is unbleached "wool of sturdy northern-grown sheep." Not terribly soft, but pleasant to knit with all the same. My gauge was closer to 5 1/2 stitches per inch, so the sweater is a bit bigger, but, like EZ says 'knitting stretches and babies vary.' Or something like that!

February 14, 2006  
Blogger Liz said...

ah, nuts, I forgot Friday was Picture Friday. Not much progress to show, but I'll post the shawl-in-progress on my blog.

It is at least bigger than the last time I posted a picture of it. Though still no eyelets, even. Although I might do them and *then* take a picture.

February 18, 2006  
Blogger Grauwal said...

Hi all
I haven't started any project yet, but I have borrowed the book from the library and will set up an English blog for the knitalong soon. I have a new baby daughter and she takes away a lot of my time and energy, but as February is for baby things, I will try to knit something for her.
I'll get there.
Helga

February 19, 2006  
Blogger Liz said...

In fact I did the eyelets and then took a picture. It looks like a potato sack.

There is also (courtesy of my middle child) a photo of the Bad Hat on My Head. Gaze upon the badness. Be glad that's not your head it's on.

All this and so, so much more at
http://likeacrazedweasel.blogspot.com

(and hello, everyone! Knit happily!)

February 19, 2006  
Blogger Liz said...

What's everybody doing with the Difficult Sweater for March? I'm trying to be realistic (for a change) and I'm thinkin' hat. Not that I wouldn't luuurrve to do the whole sweater. But hat, well, that's probably what's going to happen.

How 'bout you guys?

March 05, 2006  
Blogger Dory said...

I finished the January fishtrap Aran sweater during the Olympics.
I was going to let Franklin update the blog here but he's AWOL so...
photos at my blog:

http://knityousucka.blogspot.com/2006/02/ezs-fishtrap-aran-sweater.html

Now...about that difficult sweater...???

March 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home